- Cooked Rice (Basmati) – 2 cups
- Paneer (Cottage Cheese found in Indian/Nepali markets) – 1/2 lb or as much as you want
- Spinach – 1 cup
- Fenugreek seeds – 1/2 tsp
- Turmeric Powder – 1/2 tsp
- Cumin Powder – 1 tsp
- Canola Oil – 4 tbsp
- Butter or ghee (optional) – 1 tbsp for flavor
- Salt – 1/2 tsp or according to taste
- Chili powder (optional) – 1/2 tsp
- Cut paneer into small pieces any shape you want. Make sure the paneer pieces are not too chunky, otherwise they will not absorb the salt all the way through.
- Heat oil in a pan. Add fenugreek seeds. After a minute or so, the seeds should start to turn dark brown. Add paneer pieces now. Fry paneer until they start to brown just a little.
- Add spinach, turmeric, cumin powder, chili powder (optional) and stirfry. Let it cook in medium heat for about 2 minutes until the spinach softens.
- Add rice, butter (optioanal) and salt. Mix really well and cook covered in low heat for 2 additional minutes.
- Fried rice is ready to be served. It can be eaten as snacks or as lunch/dinner with bottled pickles, fresh achars or cooked vegetables.